Activated Sludge Basins
Cold Weather Applications
What is a S&N Airoflo Floating Brush Rotor?
Quick and Simple Installation
All in a matter of hours, not days
• In 1989, S&N Airoflo requested an approval for the use of its rotors at 4 HP/mg vs. the state standard of 8 HP/mg.
• S&N Airoflo supplied O2 transfer and mixing tests performed at Auburn University to the Mississippi Department of Natural Resources, who in turn forwarded the information to Region IV Department of Environmental Quality in Atlanta, GA.
• S&N Airoflo units approved for 4 hp/mil gal partial mix - one half of the original 8 hp/mil gal.
• Ruleville, MS - first WW installation. MDEQ suggested S&N equipment. Add 200 households to system.
Placement Effects on Treatment
• 7 acre facultative lagoon converted to raceway design
Influence of Placement
• Eliminates short-circuiting
Serpentine Flow Pattern
• Water moves from unit to unit
Multi-Cell Facility: Soft Drink Plant
Gulf State Canners, Inc. - Clinton, MS
Dennis D. Truax, PhD., P.E., D.E.E.
Department of Civil Engineering
Mississippi State University
• One 10 HP unit operating
• Approx. 0.4 surface acres (0.7 mil gal @ 14 HP/mg)
• Approx. 7 ft. at deepest point
• Velocity and sludge accumulation measured
• Collected at 7 points by two people in a rope-stabilized boat using a digital velocity meter